Shortly after graduating college I decided to graduate to the world of memory foam mattresses in hopes of gaining better sleep. With companies like Casper and Tuft & Needle rapidly disrupting an age-old industry of brick and mortar sales by offering an online-only business model, many of my friends were experimenting with these posh new mattresses and raving about how they dramatically improved their sleep. Although I do not suffer from poor posture or bodily predispositions that might cause someone to seek out a memory foam mattress over a normal spring bed, I nonetheless decided that now was my time to treat myself to a little graduation gift of improved sleep.
There was only one issue – at the time, most of the “big” name-brand memory foam mattress companies were offering options beyond the price point a poor recent college graduate could afford. Although companies like Casper offered incredible return policies (some even up to a year if the customer is not satisfied), most of these mattresses still ran an average of $1,000. But before giving up my search for better sleep entirely, I decided to do what any reasonable deal-seeker would do: I turned to Amazon.
I quickly came to learn that Amazon offers memory foam mattresses at a far lower price point than these name-brand competitors, many of which boasting 4+ star reviews with thousands of happy customers. Not only were there many favorably reviewed brands to choose from at my desired price point, there were many different styles, sizes, thickness levels, and more to choose from! As I continued my Amazon search for memory foam mattresses, I began to learn about the various considerations one should keep in mind when making a purchase.
What to Consider When Buying a Memory Foam Mattress on Amazon
1. Memory Foam Mattresses Do Not Require a Box Spring
This is a HUGE money saver for broke college kids, recent graduates, or anyone interested in buying a memory foam mattress. Due to the fact that springs are not involved in memory foam mattresses, there is no need to buy a box spring to go underneath your mattress on your bed frame. Therefore, if you are buying a mattress and a bed frame together, I recommend choosing a platform frame. Most of these use wooden slots that are laid across the frame to support the mattress.
2. Thin Foam Mattresses are Typically Firmer
Companies like Zinus offer various thickness options, from 6-14 inches. Thicker mattresses typically contain more layers of comfort foam – this is the layer that gives your body that “sinking-in” feeling when you lie down on it. The thinner mattresses typically contain fewer layers of this comfort foam, with the majority of the mattress consisting of normal base-support foam. As a young athletic guy, I grew up sleeping on firm spring mattresses. However, when it came to selecting a memory foam mattress, it turns out that I feel more comfortable on a “medium-soft” mattress – these are typically 12 inches thick.
3. Layer Thickness Varies by Brand
Although thinner mattresses do usually tend to be firmer, the layers of comfort foam vary by brand. Comparing a 12-inch mattress from one memory foam mattress company to another 12-inch from a different company might not be apples-to-apples. When reading the product description, play close attention to the mattress layer makeup. I personally prefer 6 inches of base support foam with another 6 inches of “comfortable” foam.
4. Always Keep Your Mattress Protected
I highly recommend purchasing a waterproof mattress protector that keeps your mattress protected from spills, stains, and other accidents. Unlike many spring mattresses, these foam mattresses don’t come with their own protective layer to prevent liquids from seeping through into the mattress, which could result in ugly stains, smells, or even less comfort. You can buy waterproof mattress covers that are comfortable while still keeping your mattress fully protected.
5. Do You Get Hot at Night?
There are multiple types of foams that make these mattresses so comfortable, some of which are designed to keep you cool at night. These mattresses use a gel-infusion technology that makes these mattresses worse at retaining heat (which is good for people who get hot at night). If you tend to wake up sweating in the middle of the night, you might want to consider a foam mattress with cooling technology.
6. Size Matters
This is an obvious one, but I figured I’d mention it anyway. Like regular spring mattresses, memory foam mattresses are ordered by standard size. If you have a full-size bed frame, order a full-size memory foam mattress.
7. Give Your Mattress Time to Decompress
When you first receive your memory foam mattress it will be vacuum-sealed and entirely flat. When you open the package, you will need to give your mattress adequate time to re-inflate itself to its normal size. Although sleeping on it before it has fully decompressed won’t damage your mattress, you won’t enjoy the full comfort of the mattress until it has entirely finished decompressing.
Benefits of Sleeping on a Memory Foam Mattress
Before we dive into the best memory foam mattresses on Amazon, it’s worthwhile to consider the many benefits they provide to people seeking better sleep. Although for me personally the benefits at the time were financial, I quickly learned that they affect many other factors that contribute to good sleep:
- Reduce Dust Mites – Did you know that memory foam mattresses retain WAY lower numbers of dust mites than normal spring mattresses? This is due to the fact that memory foam mattresses are made out of material that does not provide enough space for these mites to live, thus reducing the amount of allergens you have to deal with. Perfect for individuals who are highly allergy sensitive.
- Free Shipping on Amazon – One of the benefits of buying your memory foam mattresses off Amazon is that they offer free shipping! In many cases they offer free returns as well, just make sure to read the fine print.
- Spine Alignment – The purpose of memory foam mattresses is to equalize your bodyweight regardless of what position you are lying in, thus they theoretically should do a better job of aligning your spine. Regular spring mattresses that are too firm or too soft can cause you to sleep with a curved spine, which is why so many people wake up with backaches or muscle soreness.
- Temperature Regulation – Many modern memory foam mattresses are gel-infused, or contain certain substances that regulate temperature. These substances make the mattress bad at retaining body heat, which is ideal for keeping the body at a stable temperature throughout the night.
The above benefits are only a few of the ones I chose to highlight, however memory foam mattresses offer countless benefits beyond just the ones I chose to call out. For you to experience the above benefits and more, you’ll just have to order one and see for yourself!
Without further ado, here are the best memory foam mattresses you can buy now on Amazon!
*Please note: I will be linking the QUEEN size for each product. If you want a different size variation, simply change the mattress size.
1. Zinus Memory Foam 12-Inch Green Tea Mattress
Zinus has slowly became one of my favorite names in sleep products over the past few years of moving from apartment to apartment, often ordering new bed frames and mattresses along the way. This particular memory foam mattress was not my first I ordered out of college, but it is the one I currently use. It is literally perfect for my comfort needs – although I normally prefer firmer spring mattresses, it turns out that this medium-soft memory foam mattress is best for my back and weight. I top mine out with a waterproof mattress cover and a plush (not memory foam) mattress topper. This remains my favorite memory foam mattress to date, and is undeniably the best deal, financially speaking.
- Layers: 3 inches of memory foam, 2 inches of comfort foam, 3.5 inches of airflow high-density foam, 3.5 inches of high-density base support foam
- Comes with worry-free 10 year warranty from Zinus
- Pairs perfectly with platform bed frames made by Zinus that are perfectly designed for their mattresses
Buy it now on Amazon: Zinus Memory Foam 12-Inch Green Tea Mattress
2. LUCID 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Triple-Layer Mattress
This memory foam mattress offers high ventilation that is perfect for sleepers who get hot in the middle of the night. With 4 pounds of ventilated gel infused into the mattress, the design helps to increase airflow through the memory foam layer, thus providing better breathability and a more comfortable deep-sleep environment. This was my first mattress out of college, and it was everything I was seeking in a memory foam mattress and more. Although it is labeled as “medium-plush,” I personally feel that it is more of a medium-firm as it was not as soft as I was expecting it to be. This mattress is perfect for those transitioning from a spring bed to their first memory foam mattress because it is not too plush and soft, but definitely not too firm either.
- Layers: 3 inches of gel memory foam, 1 inch of bamboo charcoal memory foam, 8 inches of high-density support foam
- Comes with a 25-year warranty from LUCID
- Ventilated gel-infused design makes it the perfect option for those who want a body heat regulating mattress
Buy it now on Amazon: LUCID 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Triple-Layer Mattress
3. Best Price Mattress 12-Inch Memory Foam
One of my roommates in college had this mattress, giving me my first exposure to the world of memory foam. I was totally unfamiliar with the brand, Best Price Mattress, but after doing some research I quickly learned that they were one of the most highly-rated mattress retailers on Amazon. Similar to Zinus, the quality of the product for the price simply cannot be beat. In comparison to the others listed above, I would rate this one a medium-firm while still retaining a surprising amount of plushness and comfort.
- Layers: 2.5 inches of memory foam, 3 inches of super soft foam with pressure relief system, 6.5 inches of high density foam
- Comes with a certified 10-year warranty from Best Price Mattress
- Active charcoal particles maintain the freshness of the mattress over time while absorbing moisture and odors
Buy it now on Amazon: Best Price Mattress 12-Inch Memory Foam
4. Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Memory Foam 14-Inch
For those seeking a more medium-plush mattress that also offers cooling and heat-regulating technology, this mattress is for you. With premium pressure-relieving memory foam and infused cool-gel that works to keep the body cooler when you sleep, Classic Brands has made a mattress that is both comfortable and cool. The 14-inch design is definitely softer than a few other options mentioned on this list, with extra layers of foam for a more restful night’s sleep. This cool gel 14-inch mattress also comes with two memory foam pillows for free. Although it is not waterproof (as most mattresses are not), it comes with stretch-knit cover that conforms with the mattress layers when pressure is applied for added comfort.
- Layers: 2 inches of ventilated gel memory foam, 2 inches of regular memory foam, 2 inches of soft comfort foam, 8 inches of high-density poly base foam
- 25-year worry-free warranty
- Cool gel infused design makes for better, cooler sleeping comfort
Buy it now on Amazon: Classic Brands Cool Gel Ultimate Memory Foam 14-Inch
5. Tuft & Needle Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
Of the more “name brand” memory foam mattress companies like Tempur-Pedic, Purple, and Casper, Tuft & Needle is the most widely acclaimed, highest-rated, and most reasonably priced option on the market. See for yourself – they have thousands of extremely positive reviews on Amazon, averaging a 4.5/5. They are so certain that you’ll love their product that they offer a 100 night sleep trial (basically a 100 day return policy). Instead of using any latex that causes people to be too hot when they sleep, they utilize freshly-poured T&N adaptive foam that both offers incredible pressure relief on joints, while keeping you cool when you sleep. The mattress is also made entirely in the USA, and the company guarantees an amazing warranty and return policy.
- Layers: freshly-poured T&N memory foam
- 10-year warranty
- Cool in temperature with gel and graphite technology to regulate heat and absorb & destroy body odor
Buy it now on Amazon: Tuft & Needle Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
6. Resort Sleep Classic 10-Inch Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
Live and Sleep offers a 10-inch cooling memory foam mattress that is slightly firmer than the Tuft & Needle mentioned above. The mattress is made up of high-quality layers of memory foam that prove to be anti-microbial, hypoallergenic, and resistant to dust mites. The climate control manufacturing design ensures that it is made with materials that use less chemicals than other mattresses, while still ensuring that you receive as much odor-absorbing benefits as possible. This mattress has an average of 4.5/5 stars with thousands of reviews left from happy customers, most of which enjoy the fact that this mattress, like many of the ones mentioned above, consistently regulates body heat for more enjoyable and thorough sleep. The medium-medium firmness is ideal for “combination” sleepers (people who sleep on both their sides, back, and stomach) without being too firm or too soft for comfort and spine alignment.
- Layers: 2.5 inches of prime air-flow, infused pure visco, and antibacterial/antimicrobial components
- Amazing 20-year warranty
- CERTIPUR and OEKO TEX certified, hypoallergenic, anti-bacterial, and odor-blocking technology
Buy it now on Amazon: Resort Sleep Classic 10-Inch Cooling Memory Foam Mattress